Present: Anne Orange (chair), Helen O'Brien, Bernie Bullbrook, James Slattery-Kavanagh, Jane Pickard, Clover Williams, Simon Berlyn, Rod Brown, Jeff Avis, Ann Ridley, J McMillan.
Apologies: Michael Grimwood, Pat Fisher, Coun Robert McConnell, Coun Jeremy Baker, Jeremy Galloway, Coun Janet Grigg, Gerry and Daphne Slaughter.
Minutes and Matters Arising from Previous Meeting
Minutes were agreed. Anne apologised for their lateness: they had been mislaid. No matters arising.
It was reported that only four entries had been received. Agreed we needed to do much more to promote the competition next year. Discussed knocking on doors and talking to people about it. Agreed to invite the four, who were automatically winners, to the next meeting for a prize-giving. James Slattery-Kavanagh volunteered to donate prize money. Discussed getting gift vouchers for other prizes. Anne to talk to Grahame Wilson (treasurer).
St Luke's Gardens
Simon Berlyn said he had sent a letter re the money which the Area Committee agreed to go to NAG. Anne said she did not receive it. He said the Area Committee had agreed to give £500 for environmental projects. Coun Russell A'Court, Area Committee chair, stated it was for St Luke's project although he later appeared to back-track. Khadiru Mahdi, the town centre manager had also sent forms to formally claim funding to Jane Pickard. Jane said she hadn't received them, but would ring Khadiru. Simon said that once we had funding, we could pay for an architect to produce initial plans. Bernie Bullbrook said some grants had a deadline of the following day, so we needed to act fast.
Jane said she was also a little confused as to whether the money the Area Committee had agreed for sprucing up the front of the electricity sub-station was part of this £500 or a separate sum, but would find out. Anne proposed we ask Floral Hall if they would sponsor the sub-station project.
Agreed to wait and see how much money was available for each project.
Simon added that the prospects of getting money from the heritage lottery fund weren't looking too good, as they were insisting their tendering requirements applied to architects as well.
Police and crime public meeting
Agreed not to act on this for the time being as neither of the two people who had proposed it were present. Bernie Bullbrook said it was not such an urgent issue as two months ago when there had been a problem of lack of co-operation between police and Lambeth Council. Also, ward working parties with the police were now up and running.
This was about whether NAG should become an official "Amenity Group". Again, Richard Moore had proposed it but wasn't present, so it was agreed to discuss it as a principal item at the next meeting. Also, Anne proposed that we look at a model constitution for such a group and pointed out that we would need an Extraordinary General Meeting if we wanted to agree a change of constitution.
Any Other Business
1. Norwood Road housing plan. Simon drew the meeting's attention to plans for a development of flats with shops under on Norwood Road just south of the bridge at the Tulse Hill end where Kavanagh's now was. The aim was to demolish existing buildings between the bridge up to, but not including, the White House and build up to eight storeys. Both Simon and Jane said they thought eight storeys was too much but Rod Brown disagreed. Agreed that Simon and James would liaise over holding a public meeting to canvass public opinion and alert people about the plan.
2. St Julian's Farm Road playing fields. Jane said this was now going to appeal in front of an inspector and objectors had until the end of September to put in another objection or elaborate on an existing objection. She offered to put in an objection on behalf of NAG. Agreed.
3. Old Library. Jeff Avis who represents local pensioners said the project was in danger of leaving out older people because of its emphasis on youth and should be a community centre for everyone. He had written to his local councillor about it. Jane said she would raise at the next old library committee meeting which she attended on behalf of the board.